Monday, April 20, 2009

Bell Visits the Pediatrician- Bad News for Mom

Yesterday we took Isabel to the pediatrician because I noticed that she had been having some strange looking diapers (not to be too graphic but they were dark green and pretty slimy/mucousy).

In addition, ever since we brought Bell home she has had issues with digestion- gassy, fussiness, uncomfortable before/after feeding, arching her back and neck, spitting up etc. First we thought colic, then we tried medicine for acid reflux but nothing seemed to be helping her. The poor thing just seemed uncomfortable a lot of the time but since she was gaining weight well there didn't seem to be anything to do about it. At yesterday's appointment the pediatrician ran a couple tests on her diapers and found some traces of blood in her stool along with the mucous. This, combined with her other symptoms, lead him to believe that she was having difficulty digesting milk protein. He didn't think it was a true milk allergy, just a sensitivity to milk that may be causing her this difficulty.

SO... the good news is that by me eliminating dairy from my diet I may be able to help Bell with her stomach issues. The bad news is I have to eliminate dairy from my diet! (Boo Hoo... cream cheese, ice cream, dressings, dips, cheddar, etc...) This is going to be pretty tough as I have been known to eat cream cheese straight out of the tub! Well, all I can say is that I really love my little one and we should be able to tell in the next 1-2 weeks if it will help her.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay well once you stop breastfeeding we will go to colonial and have a kitchen sink!!! love L