Last Friday my Grandpa Davis passed away. His health had deteriorated quite a bit since he had moved to Illinois from Michigan, and he had spent the last several months living in a nursing home. I don't think he was ever the same after my Grandma died a few years ago- I know he missed her very much. Still, it was nice to have him nearer to us. He was even able to meet and hold Isabel. When I think about my Grandpa Davis I will remember silly memories like the "treasure hunt" map he made for us when I stayed with him for a summer break. I will remember how he taught me what a "doppleganger" was and how he said I could blame mine for any bad behavior I might have. I will remember how he would become frustrated after his stroke when he spoke but how he would always keep trying anyway. I will remember how he became very affectionate in his later years, giving my sister and I big hugs whenever he saw us. My Grandpa was a very smart, interesting, well-travelled, well-read man. He and my Grandma had a long and loving marriage and were deeply committed to each other. I will miss him- I love you Grandpa.
Monday, April 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Ahh you were so fortunate to have a grandfather in your adult life who got to meet Bell, how special!
Annie, you are so right, Grandpa was brilliant, yet very down to earth. It was hard to see him frustrated to find his words after his stroke. But he did become more affectionate, and cheerful. I remember how his eyes twinkled when we brought him here last Christmas...just like the day I visited him after you first brought Isabel to visit at the nursing home - he was so excited to tell me how big she was! We will miss him, but he left his mark on our memories.
Post a Comment